Saturday, February 12, 2011

Name Check

Tonight I am fighting earnestly against the idea to change the name of my blog.  Because tonight I realize that there isn't just maybe more to this than we think. There is no maybe about it.  The "more" there is to this whole thing we call life is incredibly bigger, greater, and more magnificent than we could ever imagine.  So much more than we think.  In fact, I believe this "more" is actually the foundation, the baseline, and the purpose of all of this....and the life we now live, the "this" in which we are currently entrenched, is the extra part.  And I feel like suddenly...out of nowhere and everywhere at the same time, all of this "more than we think" is jumping out from behind bushes and trees and flagpoles and is dancing in front of my face.

So what is this "more than we think"? I'm still figuring it out, but as I watch each dance closely I learn a little bit more.  Tonight at church we talked about home.  Not the brick and mortar structure that we currently inhabit and use as shelter, but our forever home with our forever Father- heaven. We talked about the actuality of heaven being a tangible place.  The hope that comes from knowing that life extends beyond our physical life on earth- for us and for those we love who love Christ.  And the joy of knowing that we can experience a small taste of home here on earth as we worship our Father in Heaven.

Tears filled my eyes as I thought of my friends who are currently worshipping in heaven...and as I expressed the pain and anxiety that currently consumes various corners of my heart.  I can not wait to be home and for this pain and anxiety to be gone.  Because one day this pain will be gone.  All of my hurts, frustrations, and hang-ups will fade into the glory of Christ as I am united with Him in my forever home.  And all of your hurts...frustrations...and hang-ups will fade into His glory too.  This is hard to remember sometimes as so often I feel as though I am sinking in a giant pool of affliction, gasping for my last breath.  But we should never lose hope.... 2 Corinthians 4:17-18 reminds us that the light and momentary troubles of today are achieving for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison.  And so we must focus not on what is seen but on what is unseen- for what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.  It is this "unseen", my friends, that I believe is a large part of the "more than we think." I'm still processing this.  And I think there is much more to this "more than we think" than I know yet.  Gospel and Community and Love and Mission are words that I cannot seem to dismiss from thought and that I can't help but believe must play a bigger role in my life.  But tonight I am mostly thankful for home.  And although I choose to cling to the truth that God isn't through with me yet here in my current, temporary home, I can't wait to get there.  For all of us to get there.  And be a part of this "more than we think."

No comments:

Post a Comment